The register contains data reported by some 24,000 industrial facilities covering 65 economic activities within the following 9 industrial sectors:
- production and processing of metals
- mineral industry
- chemical industry
- waste and waste water management
- paper and wood production and processing
- intensive livestock production and aquaculture
- animal and vegetable products from the food and beverage sector, and
- other activities.
For more information about the complete list of the 65 E-PRTR activities, see the following summary document.
An activity is usually related to a typical pollutant release spectrum – this is an indicate list of pollutants that may be released when undertaking a particular activity. Appendices 4 and 5 of the E-PRTR Guidance document contain two tables which give operators and competent authorities an example of the pollutants which may be released in the performance of a specified E-PRTR-relevant activity.